Job Vacancy: Project Coordinator
Number of vacancies: 1
Reports to: Country Director, Deputy Country Director- Programmes
Opening date: August 5, 2021
Closing date: August 19, 2021
About Inspire, Educate and Empower Rwanda (IEE)
IEE is a Rwandan local Education Not-For-Profit Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). Since 2005, in collaboration with partners, IEE complements efforts of the Ministry of Education/ Rwanda Basic Education Board, supporting education implementation for quality learning outcomes. IEE designs and delivers innovative programmes to address challenges to provision of quality education. IEE programmes range from: teacher development training and technical assistance, teaching and learning, curriculum and material development, research and evaluation, education policies and systems reform.
Context for vacancy
In the context of the Mastercard Foundation- funded Leaders in Teaching (LIT) initiative, IEE is implementing the Teaching Assistantships Project (TAP) under the LIT “Recruit” pillar. TAP is aimed at supporting Rwanda with skill-nurturing for passionate young people, with an interest in education, attracting them to join the teaching profession, and support education. Through capacity building and exposure to teaching through teaching assistantships, a young, skilled teaching force will be nurtured to contribute to Ministry of Education priorities in the current Education Sector Strategic Plan (2018/19- 2014/25).
Purpose of the role
Among other roles, the Project Coordinator will provide technical oversight to all project activities as well as building capacities and supporting Teaching Assistantship Mentors and Teaching Assistants in project activity implementation.
Project implementation, management, and coordination
- Coordinate the Teaching Assistantships Project.
- Collaborate with Teaching Assistantship Mentors and Teaching Assistants, managing project implementation in line with Leaders in Teaching and national priorities for teacher development.
- Ensure the Teaching Assistantships Project is integrated within the Rwandan Education sector, in contribution to Education Sector Strategic Plan priorities for teacher development.
- Ensure quality timely delivery of education materials and proper utilization of project materials in host schools.
- Participate in Leaders in Teaching Community of Practice in contribution to evidence generation.
- Support technical teams in implementing result-oriented activities to achieve project outcomes.
- Supervise Teaching Assistantship Mentors guiding them and giving them technical support to facilitate Teaching Assistantships.
- Manage and coordinate IEE Education programmes in alignment with programme workplans.
- Carry out field-based capacity building activities for Teaching Assistants and coordinating review meetings with Host School stakeholders: Head Teachers, Directors of Studies, Host Teachers for successful Teaching Assistantships.
- Produce timely, accurate, compliant, and quality reports to IEE Management to inform strategic support to project implementation.
- Support learning processes of project baselines and evaluation of the Teaching Assistantships Project.
Capacity building and training
- Coordination of Teaching Assistantship Mentors, supporting their capacity development and overseeing training and deployment of Teaching Assistants to host schools.
- Coordinating mentoring and coaching for Teaching Assistants in coordination with Host School stakeholders: Head Teachers, Directors of Studies, Host Teachers.
- Liaise with Rwanda Basic Education Board in capacity building, mentorship, and career guidance for Teaching Assistants.
- Advocacy with Ministry of Education in collaboration with Ministries of Local Government and Labor to possess evidence of teaching assistantship as a pre-requisite for recruitment into the teaching profession.
Engagement, networking, and documentation
- Identify and build strategic linkages, relations, collaborations and networks with partners and other stakeholders in teacher development implementation at the District level.
- Identify and utilize channels at national and local levels for nationalization of Teaching Assistantships as part of civic education in Rwanda.
- Coordination of school-level Continuous Professional Development (CPD)-type trainings for Teaching Assistants by Teaching Assistantship Mentors, with the national CPD Framework as a basis for advocacy with Ministry of Education on existing structures favourable for uptake of the teaching assistantships system.
- Collaborate with District Education Officers and Sector Education Officers throughout the project cycle in recruitment of Teaching Assistants, and advocacy to include teaching assistantships as part of district education plans.
- Involvement of Head Teachers, Directors of Studies, and Teachers in full management of teaching assistantships, to hone their appreciation of the importance of teaching assistantships in supporting learning in the short-term and preparing young people to appreciate the importance of the teaching profession, gaining informed career choices as teachers or other professionals, gaining practical teaching experience with knowledge, skills, attitudes, values and behaviours that sustain them throughout their lives, making them responsible citizens contributing to quality learning, social and economic transformation in Rwanda.
- Effectively document all information related to project successes and best practices and sharing it in relevant education networks for advocacy for nationalization of Teaching Assistantships.
Qualifications, experience, and competences required
- Minimum of a Masters’ Degree in Education with a minimum of 7 years continuous experience in education management, delivery, education monitoring, project management, capacity building in education and mentorship.
- Strong project management experience including planning, initiating, and delivering activities within agreed time scales.
- Demonstrable skills and experience in securing involvement of internal and external stakeholders, planning and facilitating consultation exercises, interviews or fact-finding meetings which result in all relevant information being collected within a limited timeframe.
- A broad understanding of school-based mentorship, Training of Trainers and capacity building is an advantage.
- Demonstrable teaching experience, contributing to quality learning.
- Demonstrable experience in program Monitoring, Evaluation and reporting.
- Good presenter with experience of presenting complex ideas to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Extremely well-organized multi-tasker.
- Self-motivated, ambitious, goal oriented.
- Experience of working in the Education NGO sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Kinyarwanda, English, and French.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrable supervisory experience.
- Able to work flexibly as part of a small team and to work independently.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Trustworthy, ethical, and authentic in all situations.
IEE is an equal opportunities employer. If your career aspirations match this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter, and CV including names of at least 3 position-relevant referees with scanned copies of certificates/diplomas, to The Country Director, Inspire Educate and Empower Rwanda (IEE) at email@example.com before August 19, 2021.
Important Note: Please ONLY write Project Coordinator as the subject of your application email. Failure to observe this instruction will lead to disqualification.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.